Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rainbow Quilt Finish

 A finish!  I pieced this top a few months ago.  In April, as a matter of fact.  I even pieced the back at the same time.  And then I folded it up and it sat.

 I finally got it basted, along with three other quilts and brought them up north. Quilted two and started this one.

 Color is a bit off in this pic, but its a good shot of the texture.  I quilted down each row in a sort of infinity shape.
  Finished the quilting about three weeks ago and got a binding on.  I also decided that I really wanted to hand sew the binding on this one by hand.  Binding is black with rainbow hearts.
 Got that part finished in the car on the way home from Iowa last week.
 I'm not sure if it was the quilting, batting, fabric, or combination of all three, but this baby shrunk 3 inches overall.  Went in the wash at 39" x 39", came out 36" x 36".
 The backing is a piece of tie dye fabric I bought in Boston 18 months ago, plus some leftover squares and a strip of plain black.  I actually managed to line them up really well.
 I used a thicker shiny grey polyester embroidery thread by Coats and Clark for the top.  Aurifil in the bobbin and on the binding.
 Gratuitous baby shot.

I really love this quilt and kind of want to keep it, but we need baby quilts/blankets like, well, you know.

 This is also a finish for the Finish A Long hosted by Leanne of She Can Quilt.
Original list found *here*.  There are only two things left on the list, however the end of the quarter is coming fast, and so is Christmas!



7 comments:

Michelle said...

The quilt is beautiful and the quilting is so wonderful and dense. I love it when quilts are quilted close like that.

Sara said...

The figure eight quilting design seems to be getting more and more popular:) A rainbow of colors can never go wrong in a quilt!

Gene Black said...

Both the quilt and the baby are adorable.

Unknown said...

LOOOVEEE this quilt! especially the back! great work!

Unknown said...

Really pretty and bright. I really like the back too! Nice quilting job.

Kay Holm said...

The baby and quilt are very sweet.

CapitolaQuilter said...

Fun way of quilting this and love the back too. Quilts are rarely about "need" just like fabric!