Friday, August 21, 2020

Elvira Quarantine Quilt Along Finish


Its been a couple weeks since I finished my Elvira quilt - so its about time I get it up here on the blog!

I started it back in March when Gudrun Erla of GE Designs hosted a quarantine quilt along (her first of 3, now)
I pulled from all my Wiscsonsin fat quarter fabrics. And actually managed to get the top together in less than a week. You can read more about that HERE
I did some simple straight line quilting, echoing the 60 degree slices through each rectangle. 

This is the really fun back that I put together.  It has two panels and a fat quarter that I couldn't bear to cut up.  It has most of the leftover strips, that I didn't use for the binding, cows, pigs, and a civil war toile print.  


I've had the quilt on my bed since it was finished and washed.  Love it so much!
Finished size is 88" x 102".  Batting is a Pellon cotton, fairly thin, but great for summer.  Thread was all Aurifil cotton 50 wt.  

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Really Random Stuff on a Random Day


Some random things to share while I've got some time to sit at a computer.


A friend from the my Gridster Bee sent me this great pouch.  Perfect for putting projects into and then forgetting them :)
Progress on my New 10 year project.  These are all the dresdens that have been appliqued down.  I have about 175 plates in total. 
Its been a pretty hot summer here in WI, with multiple days over 90.  We spent one of those evenings getting pizza and hanging out at the lakefront. 
My industrious middle child spent a week or so picking black raspberries, that we froze each day, until there was enough for an actual pie. 

Seriously one of the best pies I've ever had. 

I didn't actually know what this plant in my garden was until there were monarch caterpillars all over it. 
They really stripped it of most of the leaves, and poop everywhere.  I actually had to sweep. 

We brought two in to watch them emerge. 
I ended up lining this corner cabinet one evening because it needed fixing and was empty for that.  Not what I had planned, but I love that its done.  Hard to do any matching on curves and corners though!
New pourings of beeswax for my Etsy shop.  I love watching it cool.  Makes the coolest patterns.

I had seen this collection when it first came out at Joann, before the lockdown.  Scored a clearance mug the other day!
And I never got a finished picture of this little quilt, but put together a signature quilt for a dear friend and our Pastor's wife who has retired. 

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A Basting Day in May


In May I took a day to baste some quilts in my church's basement.  This was still when everything was in lock down/ quarantine - so I was quite by my lonesome, with just audio books to keep me company. 

This was my hopeful pile.  I brought as many tops and backings as I could get ready. 
I don't know if I was planning to photograph every step - but this was the first one that I basted, my Christmas Angel Band quilt.  I started with the largest/ones I wanted to get done first. 

It was nice to have lots of space to spread out.  


I borrowed my daughter's volleyball knee pads to baste - best idea I've ever had.  For these quilts I did a combo of spray baste and some pins.  I have a hard time trusting just spray baste....
This is the Elvira Quarantine Quilt Along quilt.  Happy to say that I'm working on the binding now. 


I got the two ugly quilts basted that day, which as you know they are done and dusted.  

Houses from last year's Gridster Bee.  Probably will quilt this one next.  A little smaller, so a little faster?
By the end of the day, this was the done pile.  At this point, 3 of the 6 are quilted.  I didn't even have time to baste them all, so yes, I've still got some waiting in the wings!

Monday, July 20, 2020

Two Ugly Quilts Finished


Last year I went through all my scraps and actually managed to clear out an entire box. 
You can read about it Here and Here.


One of the things I did with all those scraps was sew the strips together and eventually I had a pile of 12.5" squares all ready to be turned into quilts. 

I put them together into two "Ugly Quilts" 
They were quilted in a giant meandering stipple.  With all kinds of various threads that I've been trying to use up. 
This one is 8'x8'.  Hubby told me to "go big or go home"  It was funny because at the time it was more like "go big and stay home".
It does make for a nice family size beach blanket!  
Used up some more ugly fabrics on the back.
The second one turned out to be 7' x 6'.  This one is for E's Car.  She requested a "nicer back"
It's actually part of a clearance cotton duvet cover from Ikea.
Love seeing the quilts getting used!!



Thursday, July 16, 2020

Star Storm Quilt Finish


A long time ago, in a galaxy far away (or at least that's what it feels like), I took a class with Victoria Findlay Wolf.  If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend it!  

Anyway, it was last September, for the Star Storm pattern.   She just recently posted some photos on Instagram of her recent finished top.  She was working on it in September.

My version is done!  When I heard that a new nephew was due in June, I worked on getting it finished. 


Here it is basted on the kitchen floor. 

And finished!  I added borders to the star itself to enlarge it a bit and bring out the darker (more boy-y) colors.  The quilting is just in the ditch, so that the quilt itself will be nice and soft.  

I sent it out shortly after Fitz arrived.