Monday, October 1, 2012

Hand Applique Class

Last Sunday afternoon I was fortunate to take a hand applique class with Karen Kay Buckley.  This lady knows what she's talking about.

 See what I mean?  This is the block that she was teaching us.  We'll see if mine turns out anything like this.
 We learned techniques using templar and freezer paper for making the pieces.  Starch/Sizing is your friend.  Also some needle turn and stitching in general.  Apparently I've got a decent applique stitch - who knew?
Someday I'll get it done.......

 Live and in person.  She does have a website, with both a store, gallery, and a blog.

I did buy her scissors.  I've been wanting to try some of the serrated edge scissors and hers were pretty nice at a reasonable price.  I also purchased some Tulip brand needles.  Talk about sharp!  I also discovered that I do not like appliqueing with her preferred brand of thread.  It keeps breaking. But that's what taking classes is about, finding out what works for you and what doesn't.
Here's a 'perfect stem' that I made at home.  I remembered how!
Now humor me.  On top is the perfect stem maker we were given, on the bottom a zip tie.  hmmmmmm.






No comments: