Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Easiest Fat Quarter Quilt Ever - Tutorial

Someone asked for the measurements of how I made the Cat Charity Quilts, so I am putting up this mini tutorial for you.  I don't have pictures for every step because I didn't make these with a tutorial in mind, and I'm not ready to make another quilt like this right now, but it is pretty straight forward.

 This is a great pattern for using up fat quarters quickly, and also for showing off large scale and novelty prints.  I have been thinking of making one in solids, which would leave lots of space for beautiful quilting.



What you will need:  6 Fat Quarters.  1.5 yards of fabric for sashing and borders. (2 yards if you don't want to piece any borders)



First up, the fat quarters.  We are essentially cutting them into fat eighths.  Out of each fat quarter we will cut two pieces 9" x 21".  (This may not work if you are a pre-washer.  The fat quarters will have shrunk too much.)
 Lay out fat quarter.
 Trim off selvedge.
 Square up left hand side.
 Cut first strip to 9" wide.
 Cut second strip to 9" wide.
 Now stack them on top of one another.
And trim to 21" long.

On to the sashing.  I did all my cutting for strips across the WOF (selvedge folded to selvedge)  If you don't want pieced borders, then by all means cut long ways, but as I mentioned above, you will need 2 yards to start with. 
The pieces running horizontal are cut at 2" x 21".  You will need to cut 10 of these.   Lay out your blocks in a pleasing manner and then attach the sashing pieces to the bottom of the top ten.  Continue sewing so you have two strips of blocks and sashing.
 The center strip and the borders are cut at 3.5" wide.  For the center and two sides they will each need 3 strips 3.5" x 59".  For the top and bottom border you need two strips 3.5" x  50.5".  Cutting 7 strips 3.5" wide across WOF should generate enough to piece into the middle sashing and borders.  Attach the 3 vertical pieces first: the middle sashing and the left and right borders.  Then add the top and bottom borders.
This will give you a completed quilt top - quilt as desired :).

If you have any questions, please ask.  And if I made a mistake, please let me know.
 



1 comment:

Mindy said...

That actually sounds simple enough for me to follow...until the quilt top is done. Then, what to do!?! ;-) Maybe someday.