Monday, August 6, 2012

Barn Raising Quilt

Hello!  We just got back from a great family reunion in Iowa - where all my Dutch farmer family lives - and in less than 48 hours, we'll be headed on our next family adventure to a wedding in Nevada.  But I thought I'd pop in and show the quilt that I was working feverishly to finish last week.

 This quilt started as a block/fabric exchange in my guild.  We were to bring 20 5" square blocks to randomly exchange.  I knew I wanted floral, so I picked through the bags in the box.  That got me started.  Then I looked through The Stash and picked out every fabric that had a flower on it.  Any kind of flower and any size.  I then got about cutting the 2.5" squares.  The cream is a tone on tone that I picked up on clearance many moons ago as part of a kit - I just wanted the fabric.  A total of 46 different fabrics are in this quilt.
The pattern can be found on Moda Bake Shop here. 
 Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the rest of the guild quilts.  The were wonderful.  The back is something off the clearance rack at the LQS.  Pretty pink.
 I quilted in loose flowers linked together.  They kind of look like something a child would draw.  But it gives me total freedom then in size and shape.  No two are alike.
 As I was piecing the top I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this, but then I decided that since we were celebrating my Grandmother's 96th birthday, I should give it to her!  She has made at least one, if not two quilts (or more) for each of her family members over the years, I thought I should give one back to her!

There will for sure be another long blog break as our whole family heads to Nevada for my sister's wedding.  Four kids on a plane - for the first time.  Pray for us!


2 comments:

barbara said...

Rachel, it's beautiful! I love the idea of all florals. The colors are so pretty.
So sweet of you to give it to your Grama. I"m sure she will be very pleased with the time and love put into it.
I'm going to pin it so I can look at it often. Barbara

trish said...

What a gorgeous quilt!! :o)