Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The 2017 Lighthouse Legacies Quilt Show

I'm finally ready to sit and blog about the show itself.  

I entered 6! quilts in the show. 

 The Ultimate Geek Quilt won a Third Place ribbon in Applique Bed Quilts, machine quilted, self.
The Fish In Sea, Efficiency (a Four-in-Art quilt) won a First Place ribbon in Landscape/Pictoral
And the biggest surprise of the show for me, The Minecraft quilt won a Third Place Ribbon for Pieced Bed Quilts, machine quilted by self.  I had to take this one off a bed, wash it and lint roll like crazy to enter it.  I just wanted kids to see that quilts didn't have to be all flowers and butterflies.
Also entered: Central Park
Feathered Christmas
And my Hobbit House.

I was very pleasantly surprised to win three ribbons!  And frankly on quilts that I wouldn't necessarily have expected.  I know lots of people are afraid to enter shows or get critiques of their quilts, but I've never received comments from a judge that I did not agree with.  Often I will get only positive comments, but still not be a ribbon winner.  Some of it is personal taste of the judges, and sometimes there are just quilts that are better than mine, even though mine technically didn't have any problems.  I'm really hoping that our next show in a couple of years, I can help with the judging.  I'd love to hear what the judges have to say.

On to quilts by others:
A friend of mine entered some quilts and a bag.  I've got pictures of her two First Place finishes.
A perfectly pieced and quilted Lone Star.  This was the same category as my Minecraft Quilt.
And a gorgeous hand appliqued Japanese Taupe Bag.

The following are just quilts that caught my eye.  There were about 240 quilts in the show, and no way did I take pictures of them all.


 I was highly amused at the two Fancy Forests.  One in color, one not.

 A fun Halloween quilt from one of our newer members.

 Loving the fall feeling from this quilt.

 Left is Best of Show.  She fussy cut all the pieces and hand sewed the entire top.  Right is best Longarm quilt.  Spectacular piecing as well.
 This one was in the group category.  I like the "ghost" houses in the quilting.
 This one was in the youth category.  Amazing.  I think 14-17 y/o.
 I'm seriously in love with two color quilts lately, and plan to do something about it soon.  This red and white sampler was stunning.
 Left was the "best home machine quilting" and right was best hand quilting.
 And a little art inspiration on the way to the bathrooms.




No comments: