Friday, February 21, 2014

I got...Not Much

No finishes this week to share.  I just keep plugging along on some projects.
 I am caught back up on the Temperature quilt.  This is February 7-19.  See those two green pieces.  Those were a couple of beautiful spring like days!  Now we're back to cold, wind and snow :(  The many days of purple are temps 20-25 F.  I'm glad that they still look like separate patches, even though they are the same fabric.
 I've got the binding machine sewn down.  On to the hand stitching.  This will keep me busy for the rest of the Olympics.  I let E stay up late last night to watch the end of the Ladies figure skating.  I think its not fair that they deliberately save it for last, especially since kids are the ones who might be most interested.

I am so tempted to start a bunch of new projects, but I am trying to focus.  I will have to be happy with my class tomorrow and then next up will be the log cabins.
 I'll give you a bit of background on these since (hopefully) you'll be seeing a bunch of them for a while.  About 12 years ago (at least) I thought I would start learning to quilt.  After reading a bunch of books, I thought hand piecing a log cabin was the way to go.  I didn't realize that
 a. I should have marked seam allowances, I just eye-balled the 1/4"
b. Generally log cabins pieced by hand were done on a foundation so they would be uniform.
c. The white I chose is a bit more flimsy than I would choose today.
My blocks are not all the same size.  So task #1 will be to iron them all and start to square them up.  I'm hoping not to have to shave off too much of any block.  I've bought another blue to set them, so once I've got a uniform size, I'll plan a pattern.

Hope you all have a great weekend!  I must finish cleaning the house so as to alleviate the guilt of leaving all 5 kiddos with Mr. Riley for a Saturday.

And lastly, I've noticed that I've got over 500 followers.  That means time for some serious celebrations!  I will work on some giveaway stuff over the next week.  Stay tuned!


3 comments:

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

It's going to be so interesting to see your temperature quilt come together. I'm quite ready for spring.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Love the pear fabric and bright colors in your quilt…look forward to seeing it finished :)

Vicki said...

Not much? Say whaaat? Sounds to me like you are plenty busy. Great projects you're working on!