Monday, August 19, 2013

A few of my favorite things Part 1

Going on vacation this week, and since I don't exactly have a backlog of projects to share, I thought I'd talk about some of my favorite tools and notions.

Today we'll start with my sewing machine.
 I sew and quilt with a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire, 870 Quilt.

This machine has made me very happy.  It does everything I ask it to.  Since I do more than just quilting, this machine has knit, woven, and even leather settings.  Of course the most used function is probably the needle down function.  I can even control it with a tap of my foot.  It also has a low bobbin thread alert, my second favorite function!

I don't think it matters a huge amount what machine you have, or how new it is.  As long as its in good working order, the more you use it and become comfortable with it, you can sew or quilt with it anything with it.

Also in this picture is an extension table, that I would be lost without.  Someday perhaps I'll have a cabinet for my machine, but until then, I really rely on my table.

For free motion quilting, I use a Sew Slip brand silicone mat.  Why? Because that's the kind Mr. Riley bought me (and the kind my LQS carries)  It works.  I did accidentally cut a line into it with my needle, but some scotch tape over that and it still works just fine.




1 comment:

OPQuilt said...

I have a Husqvarna, too, and love it. I finally got the FMQ thing under control after buying my third FMQ foot for it--this last one finally worked for me! Hoorah!

Haven't tried the slipmat. I hear raves about it.

Have fun on vacation!