Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Why I love my Breadmaker

I love my bread maker.  I use it at least once a week.  I don't, however use it to make bread!
WHAT?!? You're saying to yourself.  Isn't that what a bread maker is for???  Well, technically, yes.   I personally don't like the crust when breads are baked in the bread maker.  That just might pertain to my bread maker - if you love yours - great!

So what am I making in mine?  Dough.  Bread sticks. Pizza. Cinnamon Rolls. Dinner Rolls.  I'll even make the dough for bread and then bake it in the oven.

Today I'll share my favorite dinner roll recipe, and how I use my bread maker to make the dough.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 egg
3 TBS softened butter
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 TBS yeast (I buy mine in bulk and keep it in the fridge)

I throw all these in the bread maker and set it to the dough cycle.  If you want to make them from scratch, you'll have to heat the water and milk to activate the yeast - add in the rest of the wet ingredients and then the dry.  Stir and knead till smooth and raise in a warm place until double.

At this point you will have something that looks like this:





Punch it down and roll out some balls.  I'm not too particular about getting them all perfect.  I make 12 or 15 or even 20, if you want real small ones, depending on how many are eating dinner with us, or if I am using them for hamburger buns, or just rolls.  Make sure to grease your pan.

Cover the dough balls and let them rise to about double. (sorry, no picture)

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12 - 15 minutes.  Rub butter over the top of the hot rolls.  Separate and serve!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

You just reminded me of what I'm missing without wheat! YUMMY!! Gotta work on my GF rolls. I however have mastered the scones, waffles, pancakes and biscuits and bread, just not the rolls. Good job Rachel and by the way your recipe for scones is easily adaptable to Gluten Free. I used it last week!

b. lee said...

oh wow * those look scrumptious! my best gal friend loves her bread maker too ... I may need to put that on my list!

Mary Johnson said...

Those look delicious. I, too, rarely make bread in my bread maker. I don't care for the crusts, either! I make pizza dough once a week. I LOVE a good dinner roll...great, now I'm hungry. ;)

j said...

That roll is making my mouth water. I bet they smell wonderful as well!

Esther Asbury said...

They're making my mouth water --- I LOVE homemade rolls/bread!