Pronunciation: A Bell Skiv Ers or Poff er tees
I use butter instead of oil for the frying part, and it may seem like a lot of work to separate the eggs and whip the whites, but it makes them nice and light.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
- Put about 1tablespoon of vegetable oil in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly (Danish cooks use a long knitting needle, but a fork will work). Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning.
Post a Comment