Friday, February 21, 2020

Quilt as You Go Hexagons - A Quick Tutorial

 Since this year's temperature quilt plan is Quilt as You Go Hexagons, I thought I'd share a quick tutorial.  I'm sure you can find others out there, and I don't claim to be an expert.  I have done 45 so far, though....
 The first thing you need is a way to cut out those hexagons.  I use a combination of the Hex N More Ruler and You Hexie Thing Ruler. 
You also need to decide on the sizes you want to end up with.  My inside hexagon is 4.5" hexagon marked on the Hex N More.  This is a nice size for me to cut the half hexies to do highs and lows for each day.

The background needs to be one inch bigger on each side, so that actually means two inches larger (it took me a while to actually get this)  So in my case I make a 4.5" inside hexagon and cut a 6.5" hexagon for the background.
My current stack of backgrounds for Winter.  With bonus triangles. 
You also need to cut batting to the inside hexagon size.  4.5" in my case. I am using Warm and Natural because its what I had.   You definitely do not want a thick batting.
 Background plus batting.
 Center batting and then front side hexagon.  I like to steam press at this point.  Helps keep it from shifting and flattens it a bit. 
 On each side fold up and press.  Do not fold the edge of fabric all the way to the batting, you want to leave a small gap to make the turning up easier.  Otherwise things get too bulky too quickly.
 Here each side is folded once, close to the edge of the batting/top hexagon.
 The next fold you take is going to come over the top hexagon, covering the raw edge of the top hexie and the batting.  Continue to press.
 Now you are folding one side at a time, press and pin.  I use glass head pins for things like this so you can press without worrying about melting things.

Make sure to miter those corners carefully.
 These corners aren't stellar, you can do better! (so can I)
 Now you are going to stitch around the edge on top of the hexagon through all the layers.  I just did a straight stitch, some like to use a decorative stitch. 

For joining hexagons together you can use a zigzag or a decorative stitch. 
 Here is a close up of my temperature quilt so far.  It is not perfect.  I'm sure it could be better, but I don't have grand plans for this one other than the fun of making it. 

The advantage of this method is you can just continue to grow the quilt. 

There is a lot more work and time up front, but when you are done putting the blocks together, they are done forever.

It does also take a lot of fabric.  Three yards of fabric yielded about 90 6.5" hexagons for the background. 

 Please let me know if you have any questions or I made any errors.

2 comments:

Needled Mom said...

That’s interesting. I was wondering how they were “quilted” already, but I see how now.

Unknown said...

Did you hear there's a 12 word sentence you can say to your partner... that will trigger deep feelings of love and instinctual attraction to you deep within his heart?

Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, adore and protect you with all his heart...

12 Words Will Fuel A Man's Desire Response

This impulse is so built-in to a man's brain that it will drive him to try harder than before to take care of you.

Matter of fact, triggering this influential impulse is so mandatory to achieving the best ever relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

...You will soon notice him expose his heart and mind for you in such a way he's never expressed before and he'll perceive you as the only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly fascinated him.