Friday, April 20, 2018

Visiting Iowa

Last weekend I took the girls to Pella, IA to visit some extended family.  Both of my parents grew up in the area, and I still have quite a few relatives there. 

In particular we went to visit my grandmother who is 101.  

 Step one: Crossing the Mississippi.  For a brief time, it was warm enough for no coats.
 While the girls took pictures and threw rocks - I found a quilt store right across the street.  Its located in LeClaire, IA.  Expressions in Threads.  I took a picture inside.  Really nice store, really nice people. 
 I made a couple of purchases....
I found these on their sale shelf, it was hard to walk away, so I didn't.

This is my grandma with the girls.  Mini is her namesake. 
We went through a bunch of photo albums.  I took a picture of a picture.  This is my grandpa with his violin.  We have the violin, now, since my kids play.  It was a special photo to find.




 Sorry for the blurry picture, but we had to stop at the Dutch Bakery, Jaarsma's.  We needed the big bag.  Dutch letters, Banket, bismarks, Sinterclaas Cookies (windmill cookies), Almond butter cake.  We've been working our way through the goodies.

 This is what we woke up to on Sunday getting ready to come home.  Fortunately the drive was just wet.
 We love Steak n Shake on vacation!

 And this is what we came home to.....


 I also picked up this sweet little doll quilt at an antique shop.  I can't afford the big ones....
It is sewn by machine and tied - no batting.  Not sure at all of an age.  It is quite dirty.  I have an appraiser friend that I'm going to ask about washing it.  I'm definitely leaning toward yes.
 It measures about 10" x 13".  I think I might frame it and hang it up.

4 comments:

Marge Martin said...

What a fun trip (minus the snow). 101 years old is something to celebrate. Will be waiting to find out about the doll quilt.

Marge Martin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Needled Mom said...

What a special trip it was for all of you. That is a great photo of your grandmother and the girls as well as the one of your grandfather with his violin.

Sherry VF said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit to my home state. What a striking family resemblance through the generations and so wonderful of you to make time for your girls to get to know their roots.