Thursday, September 15, 2016

Iowa and Grandma's 100th

 Turning West and North from St. Louis, we went to Pella, IA.  Much of my family is from this area, and specifically its where my Maternal Grandmother lives.  Jaarsma's Bakery in the background on the right, best Dutch bakery ever.
 We were there to celebrate her 100th birthday.  My dad delegated decorations to me.  You know how it is when you are in charge of something, you are so busy you forget to take pictures.  Yep, that's me, I was scrambling to take photos before we had to take everything down.
 Here's grandma with her namesake.  We named Wilhelmina (Mina) for Wilhelmina (Wilma).  97 years apart.
 Grandma with her children.  My dad is on the left.  I'm the only, of the youngest, of the youngest who had kids. 


 This is essentially what I created for the table center pieces.  A white square of cloth with a purple or pink circle that has been pinked on the edges.  I sewed the circles down.  The ultimate plan is to cut up the squares and make a quilt out of the pieces.  Waste not - want not.    The jar is filled with fabric scraps in the same colors as the circles and flowers.  In each jar I also put a stake with a verse from Proverbs 31 in the Bible.  These are verses about a virtuous and Godly woman.
I also made the bunting/banners.  Triangles of fabric, sewn to a white backing and then the edges pinked.  Then a grosgrain ribbon folded in half sewn along the tops.
 Lastly, a beautiful quilt hanging in the sanctuary at the Church my Grandmother has attended forever.  I would not be surprised to find out that she did some of the work on it.  She is a prolific quilter.  I will share some of her works in the next post.

No comments: