Monday, September 8, 2014

100 Blessings Quilt - A Finish!

 This finish has been a long time coming!  Way back at the end of March, I put out a call for fabric   to friends and family for this 100 Blessings Quilt.  Friends of mine are adopting a little girl from China, and when I came across this idea (I think on Pinterest) I thought it would be a wonderful idea to welcome her.
 I gave people quite a long time to get the fabric turned in.  Partly so I could have as many participants as possible, and partly because I didn't have a firm deadline until about a month ago. 
 I was given a total of 76 different fabric squares from 72 individuals/families.
 This worked out nice for an 8 x 9 grid on the front.  I put the extra four fabrics on the back.
 As you can see, I got quite the variety of fabrics!
 The back is mostly made up of a Brother Sister design I picked up at Hobby Lobby.   A little solid yellow to finish up the back.  There is a hanging sleeve at the top, since the parents thought they may hang it up.  If they do, it will take up an entire wall since it measures 74" x 84".
 I confess, I wasn't sure that I could pull off all these different blocks together in one quilt, but the white sashing and red/coral tone on tone helped pull them together.
 The quilting was all done by me on my domestic machine.  The seams were done with a wavy stitch that is built into the machine.  I did a free-motion flower in the center of each block.  The whole quilt was pieced and quilted with Aurifil thread #2026.  With so many different colors, the cream Aurifil really went with everything!
 The binding is attached by machine.  Partly for durability, but also so I could use the wavy stitch to complete the design.
 It was truly a blessing for me to make this quilt - and the best news, is that my friends leave this Friday morning to go get their little girl!  I can't wait to meet her!



The stats:
74" x 84"
Fabrics: A huge variety
Thread: Aurifil #2026
Batting: Pellon Cotton
Quilted on a Viking 870 Quilt

Linking up with Amanda @ Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Friday

11 comments:

jjpiano said...

What a beautiful quilt and a fantastic job of creating and stitching it. It will be a treasure for them, I'm sure.

Jane Scheef

Mindy said...

It's so gorgeous! I could just keep looking and looking at all the different fabrics people chose. =)

OPQuilt said...

I love the idea of the this quilt, and love the quilt. I agree with you: those red cornerstones with the white sashing really pull all the disparate fabrics together. Great job!

Elizabeth

OPQuilt said...

I love the idea of the this quilt, and love the quilt. I agree with you: those red cornerstones with the white sashing really pull all the disparate fabrics together. Great job!

Elizabeth

Vicki said...

Oh Rachel, this is such a sweet idea and a beautiful quilt. I love white sashing with cornerstones.

QuarterMileQuilts said...

Such a wonderful idea! Wonderfully executed!!! Best, Kate

SarahZ said...

How wonderful, and such a blessing indeed, to welcome their little girl!

Marie said...

it's a beauty!!! what a welcome to a special little one!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea, I'm sure it will be much loved x

Danette said...

Just lovely! And you are so thoughtful. I'm sure they will enjoy this quilt.

Sarah said...

This is a lovely quilt. The blocks do all go together in this layout. I love your quilting. Your free motion flowers are very good!