Friday, April 27, 2012

McCalls 3387 - The Sweatshirt Dress

It's KCWC day four.  Well the results of day four.  
I've been thinking about making a beach cover up for E for a while.  I wasn't sure what to make it out of though.  When I was going through the Stash, I came across this sweatshirt fleece from a stack my Stepmom gave to me.  It is soft on the inside.  The fabric is obviously from the 90's or earlier, but E likes it!


 I altered the basic pattern some.  I lengthened it as much as my fabric yardage would allow.  I added a pocket on the front.  It's hard to see, I should have had her pose with her hands in it.
 I also sewed up the front seam, where you are supposed to insert a zipper.  I basted it first, and then decided if I could fit it over my head, it would definitely fit over hers.  I was right!
The pattern had previously been cut for a size 5 - so I graded larger, just kind of eyeballing it as I cut.  I can't for the life of me figure out what I would have made in a size 5 from this pattern.  I didn't have any problem with sewing the fleece knit.  The seams are serged/ overlocked and the hems all laid nice and flat.  I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out.

I'm thinking this may turn into two weeks of  kid sewing.  I still have more things I want to make for E.

No comments: