Friday, May 1, 2020

Mothra - A Foundation Pieced Project


At the beginning of April maybe end of March, Sarah of Pitchers Boutique, was looking for some pattern tester volunteers.  I usually miss out, but I think this time around I was probably the only one who was willing to do something like Mothra!  She is a Kaiju from the same "family" as Godzilla and Gamera.  I knew about her thanks to my geeky family.
Anyway, I was send the amazingly detailed foundation piecing pattern and set to work.  I started with the eye.
This is my set up for foundation piecing.  Best invention ever?  The add a quarter ruler!!  I may need an Add an Eighth, now, too.


 I crease the fabric folds with my thumb, and after a couple days working on this, noticed I had worn down the nail from friction.
 All the pieces laid out.   This is by far the most complicated foundation paper piecing I've ever done.
 Found a mistake as I was putting things together.   I forgot to add color and went straight to back ground.
 And here she is, all put together.  I did the 30 x 30 version.   I don't have definite plans for her yet.  It was a fun thing to do and a great challenge.  You really need to visit the Pitcher's Boutique shop.  Lots of free and reasonably price patterns and such a huge variety!

1 comment:

OPQuilt said...

This is stunning. I'd have a hard time working on this with all those eyes staring at me--the real eyes and the ones in the wings. Super job--totally impressed!