Monday, April 27, 2020

Elvira Quarantine Quilt A Long

 Waaay back on March 22 (seems a long time ago, for sure) Gudrun Erla of GEDesigns did a Quarantine Quilt Along on her Facebook page.  The pattern was Elvira , which she made available for free.  I thought it would be a fun thing to do and a good way to remember the time of #saferathome  Little did I know we would be kept at home for so long. 

I believe she's planning another round, with a different pattern for May 3.
 I decided this was an excellent opportunity to use up two fat quarter stacks that I had.  Both were from Wisconsin fabrics from Wisconsin Quilt Store Shop Hops.  One was 2014 and one 2015.  I don't think they were by the same designers, but the colors were so close that they worked well together.  And since the blocks were big, it was a perfect chance to showcase some of the larger prints.
BTW, the honeybee is the Wisconsin State Insect!!
 This was one of the prints - vintage postcards from around Wisconsin.
 I did end up adding in three or four neutrals to get the fat quarter count up to queen size. 
 Very easy blocks and a super efficient way to use fat quarters.  Its is a very well designed pattern.  So good, I may even consider making it again.
There was no way I was going to actually get it done in one day - many people did!  I think it took me a week to get it all put together. 

 Here it is on the bed when I found the mistake!!
It's really the only directional fabric in the whole bunch, but the two blocks with it were opposite, so it had to be moved.  Especially given where it is on the quilt.  I would have seen it every time I walked in the room!
These were a couple pieces I saved for the backing, because I didn't want them cut up.


 My back is pieced and ready to go.  It is pretty crazy!  I even got some cows and pigs on the back.  I'll share better when I get the whole thing quilted.
 Right now I am waiting for batting to arrive at my home.  I have a number of quilts ready to go, just need batting!

1 comment:

Regina said...

GREAT use of the WI Shop Hop fabric!!