First I hit up the LQS for some watery background fabric. While I have a lot of blues in the stash, no one big piece for something like this.
Then I started laying down tile pieces, trying to make them fit the best I could. Occasionally I would trim or cut to fit. I can't imagine doing this for real tiles!
I did spray baste the backing, batting and top and then pinned the net over it all. I don't ever use spray baste on its own. I don't trust it.
The binding is black - I did that to set off the blues of the quilt.
Two things I learned working on this quilt for you to keep in mind.
1. Make sure that everything is very solidly fused down before you start the quilting. I had pieces trying to come off and move around after I started pushing the thing through the machine for quilting.
2. Quilting on the diagonal will distort your quilt. It will. Be prepared. For this quilt, it wasn't a big deal, I just trimmed it back to square, but if it was a pieced quilt that needed to stay square, it would be something to keep in mind.