Thursday, February 26, 2015

Patchwork Tote Bag Finish

 I finished putting this totebag together yesterday.  I'm pretty pleased.
 You could say that in one way its been a WIP for four years.
 The patchwork squares came from left overs from a quilt that I completed in 2011.  They have been languishing since then because I never had a good idea what to do with them. 
 It started when I wanted to try this stitch out on something before I committed it to a quilt.  So I started with the bottom of a bag, and things just evolved from there.
 All the pieces laid out, ready and waiting.  I didn't use a pattern, just made it up as I went along.  It is just a basic tote bag with boxed corners.
 I did two layers of Pellon Cotton for the bottom and sides.  I wanted some body, but didn't want to go so far as stiff interfacing.  I also wanted to use what I had on hand.
 Took it outside for pictures in our fresh snow layer.  And now the temperature is supposed to drop low, again.
 Needs some de-fuzzing!
 I even put a pocket and key holder in it.  More for looks, I usually don't use them.  The lining is a lightweight cotton.  A wise woman told me that bags should be lined with light color fabrics so you can find your stuff.  Same woman gave me the white fabric.  I was afraid it might show the quilting lines, but so far its OK.
 I got the D rings in part of a great bunch of loot from a local thrift store!   Yay for inexpensive notions.  If I had needed bias tape it would have been the jack pot.
 The details:
5.5" x 11.5" x 12.5"  Straps are 31".  I really like long straps to go over my shoulders.
Fabrics: batiks and plain black
Quilted with red and black Aurifil
Two layers of Pellon Cotton batting.

4 comments:

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Nice finish Rachel. Isn't it fun to wrap up an old project?

Unknown said...

Cute tote. How do you do the defuzzing? I find that this always happens when quilting a dark fabric the batting wants to come through. thank you for the tutorial. Mary mburnette912@bellsouth.net

Mindy said...

This is the perfect size and shape for a bag! Great project. =)

Vicki said...

Rachel, I really like the way this tote came out. The quilting is really, really nice.