I finished putting this totebag together yesterday. I'm pretty pleased.
You could say that in one way its been a WIP for four years.
The patchwork squares came from left overs from a quilt that I completed in 2011. They have been languishing since then because I never had a good idea what to do with them.
It started when I wanted to try this stitch out on something before I committed it to a quilt. So I started with the bottom of a bag, and things just evolved from there.
All the pieces laid out, ready and waiting. I didn't use a pattern, just made it up as I went along. It is just a basic tote bag with boxed corners.
I did two layers of Pellon Cotton for the bottom and sides. I wanted some body, but didn't want to go so far as stiff interfacing. I also wanted to use what I had on hand.
Took it outside for pictures in our fresh snow layer. And now the temperature is supposed to drop low, again.
Needs some de-fuzzing!
I even put a pocket and key holder in it. More for looks, I usually don't use them. The lining is a lightweight cotton. A wise woman told me that bags should be lined with light color fabrics so you can find your stuff. Same woman gave me the white fabric. I was afraid it might show the quilting lines, but so far its OK.
I got the D rings in part of a great bunch of loot from a local thrift store! Yay for inexpensive notions. If I had needed bias tape it would have been the jack pot.
5.5" x 11.5" x 12.5" Straps are 31". I really like long straps to go over my shoulders.
Fabrics: batiks and plain black
Quilted with red and black Aurifil
Two layers of Pellon Cotton batting.