Saturday, February 1, 2014

Urban Sructures Reveal: Wisconsin Gas Building

A couple of weeks ago I shared a post of building inspirations for my next Mini Art quilt with my Four-in-art group.



I ultimately decided on the Wisconsin Gas Building in downtown Milwaukee.   It has beautiful Art Deco lines and a flame on top!  This was important in my design plan, which you'll see in a moment.
 As I was searching the web for ideas and inspiration I came across this amazing print by Liz Carver Designs on Etsy.  A couple of convos later and I had permission to use the image.
Before I show you the quilt, let me share the poem regarding the flame on top of the building.

When the flame is red, its warm weather ahead
When the flame is gold, watch out for cold
When the flame is blue, there's no change in view
When there's a flickering flame, expect snow or rain

And so I give you: The Gas Building.

  Tulle overlay with match stick quilting with clear thread by Superior (inspired by Leanne).
 Thin layer of poly batting with Pel-Tex for stability.
 The back.




 Details:
12" x 12"
Batting: Thin polyester with Pel-tex for stabilization
Thread: Clear Poly and Bottom Line
Fabrics: What ever caught my eye and played well together.

My next post will have the details of how I put this one together.

*As I write this, no label. I got a cool new printer for Christmas that I thought I could print color on fabric.  Right now the fabric is jammed.  Hoping to remedy that soon.*

 Please check out the other fabulous Structures Quilts by the other members of Four-in-Art.

 Amanda @What the Bobbin
Anne @Spring Leaf Studios
Nancy @Patchwork Breeze
Carla @Lollyquiltz
Elizabeth @Occasional Piece-Quilt
Betty @Flickr Site
Leanne @She Can Quilt

This is also my first finish for the Finish Along Q1
Original list *here*


Linking with:
Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story
Crazy Mom Quilts 
Whoop Whoop Friday
Off the Wall Friday
Free Motion Friday



22 comments:

Deborah said...

Your quilt is phenomenal! What an interesting process!

OPQuilt said...

Wowsers! I just sighed in admiration when I saw your reveal (always a fun part of this process) and the four different colorways of this building.

I love that you used that fabulous edifice for your structure and let the poem guide you to this terrific interpretation. When you had us read the poem, telling us it was important, I had no idea where you'd go from there (I was thinking a multi-colored flame?) but then to see this. Amazing.

I love the matchstick quilting (and I thought of Leanne, too) as it provides that dense urban texture to your quilt. Great colors, too--they all work really well together.

Stellar job, Rachel!

Elizabeth
opquilt.com

Vera said...

Looks great. Well done.

Leanne said...

I so love this one! The building is beautiful and your rendition of it is great. I love the four colours, sort of Andy Warhol like too. Your quilting is wonderful, I love being an inspiration for it. It sure makes this piece shine. I bet this quilt is even better in person too.

janequiltsslowly said...

My hometown is Milwaukee. Your Warholesque quilt is amazing. I thought it had to be bigger, wow those little blocks are 6x6 INCHES.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Oh my goodness . . . how did you manage to make four buildings at such a small size? Amazing and very well done. A very nice representation of both the poem and structure. Does the flame really change color according to the weather?

Betty said...

Rachel, this is absolutely stellar!!! And Warholesque nails it. Love, love the line quilting and those colors are just perfect. Would love to know more about your process - are the building pieces fused? Did you use 1 piece of tulle over the entire piece and then quilt like crazy?! This is just outstanding.

Carla said...

Oh, my land, Rachel! I am in total awe of your quilt and those 6 inch buildings. What a wonderful piece of art. I hope that you share this with whoever gave you permission to use the poster art...they will love your depiction! Fantastic!!

Vicki said...

Oh my goodness...this is outstanding! I love the quilting. I'm impressed.

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

Wow! I love the quilting. I really must try matchstick quilting soon! I love that you incorporated the different colors relating to the flame poem - so fun and dramatic. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Like others, I am impressed with the size of this Warhol-like piece; I also think large would be good, so do it again, big. :-) A powerful presentation of a powerful idea.

Nancy said...

Such a grand idea! With such tiny pieces! This is wonderful! Are the building pieces raw edge applique? I am without words, I can think of nothing else to say but WOW.

Mindy said...

Amazing!

Sara said...

I am originally from the Milwaukee areas and this quilt was very enjoyable to learn about! It has such great texture with all the quilting you did:):)

Quilting Nonnie said...

Extraordinary! I love all the details you shared. It's just jaw dropping!

Norma Schlager said...

Love, love, love this quilt! How far apart is that "matchstick" quilting?

Gemini Jen NZ said...

That is totally impressive! You are so talented! I love everything about it,well done!

Maria Shell said...

You've inspired me to stop looking at the computer and go down stairs and get to work. Love the piece!

ipatchandquilt said...

It is a piece of art!
wonderful!!!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

Sarah said...

I love this! It's like a Warhol painting! I like that it's an art quilt that is not too right brained for my very left brain thinking to appreciate.

Katy Cameron said...

Fabulous idea, love this!

Unknown said...

rachel-thelifeofriley.blogspot.com/2014/02/urban-sructures-reveal-wisconsin-gas.html