Friday, January 24, 2014

Christmas Tree Panel Finish

 Yay!  A finish to share today.  I actually finished sewing the sleeve on this on Jan 6, but it took me forever to get it photographed.  I was waiting for a helper and some sunshine.  I also made sure to get a label sewn on this one, too. (although after the pictures were taken)

 The center is a panel from Robert Kaufman.  I bought it as a kit from my LQS.  The kit also came with the red border fabric and the gold border fabric.  I chose to bind it in green instead of the other gold that came with the kit.  I actually used that other gold in *this* project instead.  The original kit came with LED lights that you were supposed to add to your quilt by cutting holes and making it glow.  After I showed this to the ladies at my stitch group, it was agreed I should do that.  I believe the word 'tacky' was mentioned.

 The quilting is done with invisible poly from Superior Threads with The Bottom Line in the bobbin.  I outlined all the swirly stuff and snowflakes around the tree, then did a small stipple for the background and outlined a couple snowflakes at the top.

 I'm not 100% sure about those snowflakes, but I suspect I won't bother to pick them out at this point. :)
 In this shot of the back you can see that I used black bobbin thread for the tree section and white for the rest.  The backing is some random, old, vaguely Christmas-y stuff from my mom's old stash.
 I added a hanging sleeve to the back.  Also, I did a double layer of the Pellon Cotton batting.  I was hoping it would help the quilt hang a bit straighter.  I'm not sure that I achieved that, exactly, but it did add a ton of texture when I quilted it and then washed it.

The Details:
Fabric: Robert Kaufman Panel Print
Thread: Clear Poly and Bottom Line by Superior
Batting: Two layers of Pellon Cotton
Size: 26" x 37"
Quilted on my domestic machine by me

2 comments:

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

Love the quilting. Great finish!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

So lovely! Stunning! :)
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla