Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Green Weaver a Yellow Green Crayon Challenge

I told myself that this year I wasn't going to do the crayon challenge at our guild.  And then, I took a crayon anyway. I pulled Yellow Green.   I remembered that color from when I was a kid!  It was one of those deceptive crayons that didn't actually color the same color as the way it looked.  Cornflower is another one of those tricky crayons.




Anyway, for the first time ever, I started right away.  I pulled out some ombre fabric from Dwaibo.  Perfect.  I wanted to do some sort of weaving of colors that incorporated the whole range of yellow green.

Some progress photos:




 I pinned the strips to a piece of white to hold things together.
 I also added other fabrics, some ribbon and some yarn.  Going with the "more is more" idea.
 Pulled out the yellow green threads.  Ended up using the Aurifil.
 The first thing I did was zigzag over all the yarn strings.  Then I quilting straight lines on each side of the raw strips.  After the quilting, I knew that I would never be able to trim all the strings, so I sprayed the whole thing with water and used a toothbrush to make more strings!


 The backing fabric came out of my mom's stash.  I think she made some kind of wreath with the fabric.  I turned the quilt in last Monday!  On to the next project.

Oh, and, with the left over strips I made a hot pad. :) Bad binding, but that's ok.  It will be spaghetti sauced soon.


2 comments:

Needled Mom said...

It's been fun watching this come together. Love all of the yellow greens.

OPQuilt said...

Glad you grabbed that crayon, so we could enjoy this terrific quilt. I love the weaving idea--way to go!