Let's start with what you need:
1 Fabric Rectangle: 8 x 9.75”
2 Fabric Circles: 3 ½“ diameter (across)
2 Card board Circles: 2 ¾” diameter (Use lightweight cardboard. I used a soda can box)
2 Batting Circles: 2 ¾” diameter
1 Pringles Circle: 1/2” wide
*If you are looking to make multiples for gifts, you can get three thread catcher from one fat quarter*
1. Do a running stitch around the edge of fabric circle.
2. Place batting then cardboard in center of fabric circle, pull up stitching to gather around, secure with a knot.
3. Do this twice.
4. Sew two circle sets together, wrong sides together.
5. Press long edges of rectangle up ¼”
6. Sew 8” edge of rectangle, right sides together, using a 1/4" seam.
7. Press seam open
8. Slide Pringles ring over fabric tube (wrong side is still out)
9. Fold fabric tube over Pringles ring, pinning pressed edges together, pushing Pringles ring to the top.
10. Stitch right under the ring to make a casing
11. Remove pins, and pull the inside of the fabric tube out
12. Pin bottom to the fabric tube. Tube will be slightly larger – just ease as you stitch.
13. Stitch all the way around.
14. Push the bottom through the ring.
Pin and stitch other side of the bottom to the fabric tube.
15. Ta Da! Twist and push together – thread catcher is ready.
If you have any questions are clarifications, please leave a comment or an email. I'll help where I can!
Other resources for this pattern: