Monday, February 24, 2014

Quilt as You Go with Gudrun Erla

 Yay! I got away for several hours on Saturday to take a workshop with Gudrun Erla
 In the morning we made this fun little table topper.  This project has all her tricks for Quilt As You Go, so once its mastered, you can make any project in her books!
 There's something wonderful about a room full of people sewing.
 The finished product.  The fabrics are all Gudrun's.  I used Aurifil to piece and top stitch.  We used a fusible batting by Bosal.  The topper finishes about 18" square.
 My husband often teases me that I don't ever come home from workshops with finished projects, so I got to show him!
 In the afternoon we worked on the Rolling Barrels Table Runner.  I finished it Sunday at home.  The 'barrel' fabric is Red Bird in the Bower, the line is at least 5 years old.  The reason I used it is because it matches my kitchen.  I've been wanting to do some pieces that match the kitchen, and this was a great start.  My curtains are the red and yellow diamonds you see in the middle of the runner.
 I've put a split hanging sleeve in the back, because I will probably hang it, not put it on the table.  This one was also made with Aurifil in black.  Finished size: 12" x 40".  The back is also a Moda print, matches but isn't the same line.
 The runner pattern is out of this book.  There look to be some other fun patterns in here!
 I also picked up another book because there is a bag I want to make in it and a few fat quarters of Gudrun's designs.

Tonight she speaks at the guild, so I may have more to say tomorrow!


3 comments:

Vicki said...

Now that looks like a whole lot of fun to me! I really like your table topper and runner.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Love those table toppers..especially the Rolling Barrels Table Runner…..think I'll have to buy that book :) Thanks for sharing!!

Sarah said...

Looks like a fun day. My husband would make the same joke. He's right too!