Thursday, August 1, 2013

Four-In-Art Reveal: Owl


 Finishing up our first year of mini art quilts.  Theme: Nature  Subject: Owls

 May I present 'A Wise Old Bird'
 156 hand pieced 1/2" hexagons.

 The background is a piece of blue linen.

 I quilted swirls into the background for a nice textured effect, and was super pleased how they turned out, especially after washing.  The face and branch have some micro stippling.  The feathers were done with free motion 'V's'.  Other areas just have some outline quilting.
 I happened to have an absolutely perfect Robert Kauffman fat quarter owl print for the back.
 I applied a skinny black binding.  I considered doing a facing, but like the way the black framed the picture.
 The threads used:  I did all the hand piecing and applique with Aurifil threads.  Bobbin thread was the cream Aurifil (almost out!!).  On the feathers I used a dark cream Coats and Clark and the bit of outlining on the eyes was a bright yellow Masterpiece.

And now a confession: Mine is not 12"x12", which is what we were supposed to be doing.  Mr. Owl ended up at 13.5" x 13.5".  I hadn't measured him as I was creating the body, and didn't realize until after the hexies were pieced he would be a bit too big.  Sorry.

Please go see my other co-conspirators and what they've come up for this round.
Betty
Leanne @ She Can Quilt
Elizabeth @ OP-Quilt!

Tomorrow I'll go into greater detail of putting this quilt together.


Linking up @ Crazy Mom Quilts

**************************************************************************************

This is my first finish for the Finish A Long hosted by Leanne.  Original list found here.





6 comments:

Leanne said...

Your wise owl is wonderful. I am trying to figure out what you did for the breast, it looks so much like feathers. I love all the quilting details and 1/2" hexagons are hard core, especially when one is in their last trimester. I bet this looks great on your wall!

Betty said...

Rachel, your owl is so cool and has tremendous dimension! The background quilting accents, but doesn't interfere with the focal point and is just perfect. This looks like "major nesting" in my book!

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

The fabric choices and quilting turned out so feather like. Amazing.

OPQuilt said...

I am blown away by this owl, especially all those hexies (while pregnant!) and the use of fabrics to mimic nature's feathers (brilliant). The parts all combine to create a perfectly wise old owl, from who you could seek the answers to the universe.

The quilting is fabulous--the different styles accent the textures (love the starry night swirls)--and really bring the whole piece into focus.

I can't believe we've done this for a year--can you? And I'm ready to go again!

Elizabeth E.
opquilt.com

Mindy said...

Incredible! I love the way it turned out!

Lisa said...

This is just beautiful!