Thursday, January 31, 2013
Pioneer Sampler Quilt Finish
It sat as a top for most of those ten years.
So here's the story of the Pioneer Sampler Quilt.
10 years ago I signed up to take my very first quilting class at Liberty House Quilts (no longer in business). It was for a sampler quilt, and was advertised as perfect for a beginner quilter. Which I pretty much was.
As I recall we did two blocks a week as an assignment. (And during that time I was pregnant with #1. Fighting nausea during each class) When it was all said and done I had the twelve blocks pieced together - and I'm sure I was rather proud of myself, until Mr. Riley said it wasn't big enough to be a proper quilt. So. Consulting the book I figured out the Seminole patchwork and added that as one border. Then I added another border of the brown floral print. And then I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to quilt something where each block was different. And so it sat. I would look at it once in a while. Still stuck on the quilting.
So last November I pulled it out, determined to quilt this thing and just get it done! It didn't lay very flat when I was basting, but I carried on, determined to get this thing done. I decided to quilt each block differently as practice. I figure it works since its a sampler quilt, anyway.
I did the sashing in a meander/stipple.
I chose the blue for a binding to pull in some of the blue from the brown floral and also because it was more of a 'calico' print. I finished the binding this past Saturday Evening. Labeled and washed the thing Sunday.
The backing is an old somewhat ugly print I've had around for a while. Possibly bought for this quilt - I don't actually remember.
The batting is Warm and Natural. The quilt finished at 66" x 79".
This was my third oldest UFO.
And now, if you've made it through the whole story - it comes full circle. As I had pulled it out late November/ early December to work on it - I was fighting nausea all over again. Baby #5 is on its way!