I've been alluding to costumes that I've been working on over the past couple of months. They are finally all done, and worn! On Labor Day we finally made it to the Bristol Renaissance Faire. Way back in the spring, I mentioned to Mr. Riley that we should go and take the kids and all dress up. What seemed like a fun/great idea in the spring turned out to be a ton of work on my part. Perhaps even questionably worth it. We did have a pretty good time, though. It was hot, unfortunately, but everyone was pretty well behaved.
As for costumes, we'll start with Lady E, since hers is probably the most straightforward and actually used a straight up pattern.
Here she is at the fair.
Big bell sleeves for prettiness and drama. I also made a ribbon necklace for her.
The back is laced up with decorative cording and eyelets. the sleeves turned out to have 6 pieces each, which was a lot of messing around to assemble. The final dress turned out to be rather big around, so at the back I turned in the edges an inch on each side, and then attached the lacing pieces. Makes for a small bustle effect at the back. It was also way too low in the front, so I made up a modesty panel and added some lace, and hand stitched it to the lining. On the plus side, it should fit her for a couple more years, except the length, but I can always add ruffles or a petticoat.
PS Don't forget about the giveaway - closes Friday afternoon.