Thursday, April 5, 2012

A list of Questions

I saw this list of questions over at Occasional Piece - Quilt and thought it might be fun to play along.

1.  Starch or no starch?
Depends on the project.  For the Ruby Hex quilt I starched the snot out of the hexes and diamonds.  For regular quilts, hardly ever.



  2. Pre-washing or not?
Not usually for quilts.  Maybe because I don't tend to use a lot of reds or maybe because I haven't had anything bleed, or maybe I'm just lazy.  For clothes sewing, almost always.  

 3. Solids or prints?
Yes.  Although my 'solids' probably lean a little more towards marbles or batiks, but I do think its funny that so many people are 'rediscovering' solids.

  4. Dogs or cats?
One dog, mostly outside, and only in the kitchen/bathroom when inside.  Two inside/outside cats and one outside cat.  And yes, occasional fur, however the cats are fairly well behaved for cats, not allowed on the furniture, and in the nicer weather, are almost always outside.






  5. Big quilts or little quilts?
Yep.  I like bed size quilts for the home and smaller sizes for experiments and art quilts.   The biggest I've done was king size - sorry I never did get a picture of it.  The next biggest is this queen size, and the smallest - so far - was 7.5" square.

 





  6. Thrifting or buying new?
Yes to both.  I love fabric wherever I can get it.  Especially if I can get it cheaply and unique.  This year, the goal has been to only purchase for specific projects, and I've done quite well with that.  I have used up significant yardage out of the Stash.

  7. Wood floors or carpet?
In our home we have wood, tile, laminate, and carpet.  I prefer wood or laminate, but husband insists that we keep carpet in bedrooms and the living room for comfort.  I would love to get it all replaced, though.  Something else to put on the 'list'.

8. Beer or wine?
I do live in Wisconsin!

  9. Staying in or going out?
With four kids at home I really look forward to my chances to go out, and really appreciate them since they are not too frequent.  But I certainly enjoy my time staying in with the kids.

  10. One fabric line per quilt or mix and match?
There are only a couple of times that I have either bought a jelly roll or layer cake or some such.  Usually I'm a mix and matcher.  Although I do love batiks - so I'm not sure how that classifies as a line or not.

11. Watching TV or listening to music?
I almost never watch TV - so I'll say listening to music.  Love my ipod!  My tastes cover lots of genres and I like to set my ipod to shuffle.  Drives my husband crazy, but who doesn't like to mix Vivaldi, Tommy Dorsey, U2, Rachmaninoff, Patsy Cline, & Queen?

Now for some other business.  A few days ago LindaCrochets sweetly gave me the Liebster Award.  There are a bunch of requirements, but seeing as it has passed through this blog before I will complete just two of them.  The first is to tell you to go check out Linda's blog.  I can't crochet a whit, but she makes some pretty beautiful things.  I would probably poke out my eye with one of those hooks.

The second is some random things about me that you may not know.  

1.  The thing I hate most about doing laundry is socks.  6 people x 2 socks a day x 7 days a week = 84 socks to wash, dry, and match.  And invariably one or two are missing.
2.  My retirement dream is a log cabin on the shores of Lake Superior.
3.  This is my year of Jubilee.  I don't think I mentioned it on the blog, but I have removed myself from all committees this year and quit playing handbells.  I was getting so tired of having to be somewhere everyday - besides the places the kids needed to be.  I just wanted to relax and be Mom.  This has also as a side benefit given me much more opportunities to get sewing done - thus the increase in finishes this year.
4.  My favorite candy is a York Peppermint Patty.  "When I bite into a York Peppermint Patty......"
5.  Having a clean kitchen makes me very happy.  Even if the rest of the house is a mess.

 
 

1 comment:

OPQuilt said...

I'm so glad you jumped in to play! I laughed at your "I do live in Wisconsin" comment, and really enjoyed reading the rest. I also liked how you gave yourself a Jubilee year--a time to focus in on home stuff and to cut out excessive outside commitments. You'll have to let us know if you decide to continue it, or pick up a few things at the end of your year.