Friday, October 7, 2011

The Rest of the Story

And now for the rest of the story..... (I loved listening to Paul Harvey, and it was always in the car with my parents).  Anyway, now that you've seen the completed quilt I thought I'd share some of my thoughts and experiences regarding it.

1.  Putting 14 different blocks from 14 different people is really hard.  I know we all started with the same 'inspiration' to match colors, but everyone really has a different asthetic.  A few pink people, a few blue and green people, and then you've got one purple person and one brown person.  And then me with the black and red. (this pic is missing two of the blocks)
2. When working with lots of colors, it's all about the pattern.

3.  Even though it was hard, it was a good experience and I would do it again.
4. Black is really hard to keep clean.  Every single fuzz shows up on it. Every one.


5. I tried a new batting, natural all-cotton by Pellon.  I wasn't thrilled.  Very fuzzy and made me sneeze, a lot.  I generally choose Hobbs 80/20, and I think I'll go back to that.
6. Deadlines are good.  It makes me finish things.
7. I don't care enough about being perfect to make competition quilts.  I really liked making this.  I am really happy with how it turned out, but to put any more time and work into it would have made me not like it.  I know one person took apart and put the blocks back together for perfect points.  I just don't care that much.






No comments: