Thursday, September 1, 2011

Recipe Day - Italian Bread

I've started making our own Italian bread.  We generally have bread with every spaghetti-type meal or soup meal, which can easily be twice a week.  I've tweaked the amounts to work for me and my bread machine and now I'll share it with you.

1 1/4 cups water
1 TBS honey
4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
1 TBS yeast
I throw them all in the bread maker and press the dough button.  When it's done I shape it into a 'torpedo'.
For a more 'authentic' look you can cut some lines in it.
Cover with a towel and let raise to about double.
Put in COLD oven and set temp to 375 degrees.  Total cooking time will be between 30 and 40 minutes.
Ooo, pretty.
Slice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from the Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking.  If you want to try for an extra crispy Italian crust, you spray the loaf with water before putting in the oven and then every 10 minutes after that.  I usually don't bother.

No comments: