Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Workshop ReCap

Whew.  I am tired.  Two days of a quilting workshop with David Taylor!  (Go look at his quilts!)  He taught us exactly how he makes his quilt tops (along with some discussion of quilting and finishing), and all I can saw is wow.  I really like to make things, but he has an 'artist's eye'.   He showed us how to look at drawing patterns from photos in a whole new way.  Not by color blocks, but by 'structure' and letting the fabric 'do the work'.
We each had to have either an 'approved' photo, or one of his columbine patterns.  I chose this photo:
I know, a little ambitious, right?  But I thought if I was going to invest time and energy into this project, I wanted it to be something that I wanted to do.
We had to come with an enlarged photo of the picture and he taught us how to draw the pattern, make the pieces and start choosing fabrics.  It was suggested that bigger is better, so mine is not small.
 
A couple views of my beginnings.  I didn't get very far.  That's ok. 
 Following are some other class member's work.  Mostly flowers.  I was the deviant :).  Except for the lady next to me.  I wish I had a picture of hers.  She is doing a donkey.  So neat.  She is not from my guild, but from one close.  I hope she finishes it and I get a chance to see it!
 Hibiscus
 Columbine
 Orchid
 Orchid? Lilly?
 Lilly
 Columbine.  I love the autumnal colors!
 This is David Taylor's Lil S'Tinker.  We got to drool all over it.

So I'm pretty excited about this project, unfortunately I have some 'have to dos' before I can get back into full swing with this one.  So into a shoe box it goes......




3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

One word says it all.... jealous! I'll keep him in mind if I get a chance to take a class I think I might.

Mindy said...

Wow! That is going to be amazing.