Friday, July 15, 2011

The Fourth

The Fourth of July is usually one of the longest days of my year, right up there with Christmas - what is it about these holidays?  Anyway, here is a rundown of the usual itinerary:

Up by 7 to get ready for the Black Bear Run  12K run & 6K walk/run.  Then on to at least one parade.  Fish and other good food at the local 'carnival'.  Kids games.  Library book sale.  (Mr Riley had to 'save the books'.  They were on their way to the shredder, so we brought home a large box full.) Quilt raffle (there were 2 this year)  Then we go home for a while, hopefully naps for the youngest ones, maybe the beach for the older ones.  Then dinner.  Then back to the beach to build a fire, set up our own fireworks and get ready to watch the local ones.  Home around 11.  Bed.  Whew.

 My nephew waiting for the race to start.  Reminds me of Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes.

 Sister-in-law, me, Brother-in-law, niece, and E waiting for the race to start.
I feel the need to explain my look.  I can't stand hair in my face when I run.  Or a wiggly pony tail, so its all up and tight and pinned down.  I also can't stand my glasses when I run.  It's not like there's anything to read on the trail, anyway.
 Nephew winning.  11th overall.  1st in his division.  He'll be 12 in August.  Born Runner.
 Niece with her Dad home stretch.  She got 1st in her age division, as well.
 E on home stretch.  I told her no walking on this part - everyone can see you here.  Have to finish running.  She got 1st in her age group. 
 Me & E at the end of the race.  Don't mind the time.  There was a lot of walking.  Even some standing still on my part.
 WD starting to dig the fire pit.
 Getting the fireworks ready.  Is there any safer spot to shoot them off than the beach?
Bonfire.  Warm.   Dry.   Good.   (I made the shirts)

Hope you all had a happy Fourth as well.  What did you do?

No comments: