Thursday, September 9, 2010

Recipe Day

Spaghetti Sauce

Today I'm sharing the recipe for our favorite spaghetti sauce.  It has developed over the years and is always a hit when I make pasta and sauce.  I can also get the meal on the table in a half hour.

These 6 in 1 Tomatoes are the new favorite in our family.  I use them in spaghetti sauce, pizza, and even chili.  They have a great consistency and a bright, yummy tomato flavor.  We buy them at our local Italian Deli. This recipe makes quite a bit of sauce.  I usually have enough for two meals in our family (2 adults and 3 kids, eating).

Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger - or Italian sausage
1 large can 6 in 1 tomatoes
1 can pizza sauce (whatever kind you like)
1-2 cloves garlic
Salt, Pepper, Basil, Oregano to taste

1. Brown the meat and drain the fat.
2. Add the tomatoes and pizza sauce to the meat.  Stir in about 6 oz water (I fill the pizza sauce can about 1/2 full).
3. Add the garlic, using either a garlic press, or just mincing with a knife. Stir.
4. Add salt, pepper, and herbs to taste. Stir.
5. Bring it all to a simmer and cook anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.  The longer you cook it, the thicker and more flavorful it will become, but sometimes, you just don't have the time.
You can really add whatever kinds of herbs and spices you like.  I used to put in some crushed red pepper for some kick, but the kids don't go for that so much, right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds so yummy! Thanks for commenting on my blog today! It was so nice to hear that I am not the only mommy who feels like this!

Mary Johnson said...

That looks great! And very simple. I'm going to give it a try. I've been soo sick of our "pasta nights"; perhaps this is just the thing we need to change things up a bit. Do you get the 6 in1 from Tenutas?