Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Boar's Head

Do you know this song?


The Boar's Head Carol

The boar's head in hand bring I,
Bedeck'd with bays and rosemary.
I pray you, my masters, be merry
Quot estis in convivio (Translation: As many as are in the feast)
CHORUS
Caput apri defero (Translation: The boar's head I offer)
Reddens laudes Domino (Translation: Giving praises to the Lord)

The boar's head, as I understand,
Is the rarest dish in all this land,
Which thus bedeck'd with a gay garland
Let us servire cantico. (Translation: Let us serve with a song)
CHORUS
Our steward hath provided this
In honour of the King of Bliss;
Which, on this day to be served is
In Reginensi atrio. (Translation: In the Queen's hall)
CHORUS

Here in The Life of Riley, we've got our own Boar's Head.


1 comment:

Mindy said...

That song took me back to Madrigal days in high school! I love it.
(and he somehow looks smaller in the picture!) =)